Tuesday, August 11, 2009

slippery slope of self-improvement

God must have laughed heartily when I embarked on yet another quest to become physically fit, be healthy, eat less sugar and stop drinking coffee. All was going well, I was biking and/or walking daily, eating more salads and drinking less colas...

...and then I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies (allegedly for my family) and that was the begining of the downward turn. Of course, failure is always a good excuse, and I've given myself wholeheartedly over to culinary debauchery, despite some feeble attempts to break my slide. Ice cream every other day, two or three diet (sometimes) colas a day, random bite-size pieces of chocolate, and the dreaded McDonald's lunch.

Don't think that fat free creamer in the coffee is making much difference anymore.

I say God must have laughed not because he's sadistic and enjoys seeing me fail. I say that because he (and I) know what usually happens when I embark upon these endeavors to be a "better" person, when I place cosmetic improvements at the top of the list of things to work on. I think he's shaking his head with a wry, knowing smile, yet still loving me.

I'm laughing, too. It all seems so ridiculous, like putting up a tent during a rainstorm or driving through a muddy field after you've washed the car. There's a definite path to good health, and I keep trying to take a detour. It's time to stop kidding myself.

No comments: